H1 FY2017 Headlines (Apr 1, 2016 to Sep 30,2016)
- Overall company Revenue up +4.7%
- Overall company Operating Income up +21.5%
- Imaging Solutions segment Revenue up +9.2%
- Imaging Solutions segment Operating Income up 225%
Overall Business Results
This has been a pretty good start to the financial year for Fujifilm. Revenue is up strongly in Imaging and Information with just Document segment in a small decline. Operating-income has risen in Imaging and Information with just the Document segment in decline. So a firm base for the rest of the year.
Q1 FY2018 Headlines (Apr 1, 2016, to Jun 30, 2017)
- Overall company Revenue up +2%
- Overall company Operating Profit fell -5%
- Imaging Business segment Revenue fell -1%
- Imaging Business segment Operating Profit up ¥1.2B
Overall Company Results
Olympus released the first quarter results for the FY2018. The forecast for this year is to drive Revenues up by +3% and Operating Profit by +11% for the business overall. So how did they get on in the first quarter?
Nikon Corp. Q1 FY2018 Headlines (Apr 1, 2017, to Jun 30, 2017)
- Overall company Revenue up +0.6%
- Overall company Operating Profit down -31.1%
- Imaging Products segment Revenue falls -3.7%
- Imaging Products segment Operating Profit falls -24.8%
- Results beat previous forecasts
- Overall company Revenue rises +15.2% year-on-year
- Overall company Operating Income rises +180.5% year-on-year
- Imaging Products & Solutions segment Revenue rises +27.3%
- Imaging Products & Solutions segment Operating Income rises 309%
Overall Company Results
Sony financial report for Q1 FY2017 shows an improved overall Revenue but especially a return to much better Operating Income. Some one-time hits and gains have distorted the figures but still, the underlying picture is positive. The impact of last years Earthquake has now turned from a negative cost to an insurance gain. Also, the disposal of a camera module subsidiary has flipped a -¥20.3B loss into a +¥27.5B gain in Operating Income.
Exchange rates have been more stable this year so they have had little effect in the overall figures so far this financial year.
Canon Q2 FY2017 Headlines
- Overall company Net Sales up y-on-y +15.4%
- Overall company Operating Profit y-on-y +40.4%
- Imaging System segment Net Sales down y-on-y -1.7%
- Imaging System segment Operating Profit up y-on-y +12.2%
- Sales of Mirrorless cameras grew by more than +70% in H1 2017
Canon Inc. continue to post improved results for the second quarter of 2017. Overall Sales are up and better still profits rise by +40.4%. Office products continue to perform strongly and the Industry sector returned a profit. The newly classified Medical sector is still 'finding its feet' and made a nominal profit. So the ongoing structural reforms are making good progress in a challenging market. What about the imaging sector?